Monday 5 July 2010

Remembrance of things past



Time for an update on some of the things I was kicking around when I launched this blog...

I now have 6 goats, for the time being, anyway. To explain: I originally planned to purchase a wether and two does; Mary, Jack and Jenny. I picked them out the day the photo of me holding Mary was taken May 2nd, 2008 -- the day I picked out the ones I wanted. It turned out that Jenny had an extra teat, which happens sometimes, and potentially complicates milking. So, after reading some chilling accounts of how you can slice off the extra appendage with a razor blade, Sigrid decided instead to ship Jenny to marker, and I took Jack's twin Jill instead.

So: the starting "herd" was Jack, Jill, and Mary.

Jill was a very nice doe, and unfortunately died this past November. Last summer, though, she gave me a beautiful grey and white buckling named Fillmore. Meanwhile Mary had twins, a boy and a girl, Norman and Jubilee. I named her Jubilee because she was our first, the very first kid I saw.

This year, Jubilee kidded first, and gave birth to Millie. She is black and curly like her sire (his name is Pepe) with a white blaze on her forehead.


Not to be outdone, Mary twinned again, producing Ricky and Lucy. Lucy is the most beautiful honey brown color, and Ricky has a head identical to Mary's. Mary, Jack, Jubilee; Millie, Ricky, Lucy. Six goats. For now.





1 comment:

Judith van Praag said...

Goat-Ama indeed! Thanks for visiting my blogpost on Weed Whacking Goats. This post Remembrance of Things Past brings back a lot of memories for me as well. Among others the twins my mother's goat Tilly delivered a few springs in a row. How I adored those little kids, they were great play palls, and very cuddly, much more than their bony mom! Your goats look beautiful and I also like that pale turquoise door.